"Sit down and feed, and welcome to our table." -William Shakespeare

Monday, July 11, 2011

Thoughts for the Day I Turn Thirty

“Thirty was so strange for me. I've really had to come to terms with the fact that I am now a walking and talking adult.”
-C.S. Lewis

“To love at all is to be vulnerable. Love anything, and your heart will certainly be wrung and possibly broken. If you want to make sure of keeping it intact, you must give your heart to no one, not even to an animal. Wrap it carefully round with hobbies and little luxuries; avoid all entanglements; lock it up safe in the casket or coffin of your selfishness. But in that casket- safe, dark, motionless, airless--it will change. It will not be broken; it will become unbreakable, impenetrable, irredeemable.”
-C.S. Lewis

"Miracles are a retelling in small letters of the very same story which is written across the whole world in letters too large for some of us to see.”
-C.S. Lewis

“This is one of the miracles of love: It gives a power of seeing through its own enchantments and yet not being disenchanted.”
-C.S. Lewis

"I do not believe one can settle how much we ought to give. I am afraid the only safe rule is to give more than we can spare.”
-C.S. Lewis


OK, so if you haven't caught on by now, I have quite the quotation obsession. I'm indulging it here because what are birthdays for?


“Some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again.”
-C.S. Lewis

"If I discover within myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world.”
-C.S. Lewis

1 comment: