"Sit down and feed, and welcome to our table." -William Shakespeare

Saturday, July 2, 2011

Ice Cream for Dinner? Why not!

Yesterday I promised ice cream for dessert. As I racked my brains and my pantry for a worthy prelude to something as delicious as homemade ice cream, I considered the thermometer, hovering at 104, and chucked the whole dinner idea.

Who wants ice cream for dinner?
O Mommy! Can we?

Well, why not. So I set about to turn our usual ice cream into a complete meal.

I started with 2 cups oat milk: a cup of oatmeal leftover from breakfast pulverized in the blender with a quart of water, a dash of salt and a touch of vanilla and stevia. Next I added a half cup almond butter and a half cup cashews. I put this through the whole foods cycle of my Blendtec. In a regular blender, just blend on high for a minute or so. This gives you a creamy base just as good as any dairy product! Next, I added 4 overripe bananas.

Then I added in 2 cups spinach (well, it is dinner), 3 cups frozen blueberries, vanilla, and stevia.


Then I dumped it all in our ice cream maker.

I warmed up some frozen blueberries and mashed them to make 'sauce.' Here it is:


Ya,
it was good,
very good!


"My advice to you is not to inquire why or whither, but just enjoy your ice cream while it's on your plate. That's my philosophy."
~Thornton Wilder

1 comment: