"Sit down and feed, and welcome to our table." -William Shakespeare

Saturday, October 1, 2011

A is for Autumn and Apple Pie

In America we say, "As American as apple pie."


Guess what they say in Russia? "As Russian as apple pie." And I didn't get that off Google; a real, live Russian told me.

I prefer apple crisp, much easier to make and more delicious. But I. & R. begged for this today, and so we made it.

This is 2 organic apples,
1c applesauce,
1/4c water,
a bit of stevia extract,
and 2 t corn starch,
bubbling till thick.


Crust:
1.5c walnuts whirled in the blender
2c whole wheat flour
1/2c oil or butter
1/4c cold water
Mix with fork or pulse in blender. You may sub an extra cup of flour for the nuts. Add extra water if it won't hold together.

Make sure this dough is nice and cold. Pop it in the frezzer for a few minutes if necessary. Roll out 2 circles between wax paper.

Plop one on your pie dish
and smoosh it around. I'm not a pastry perfectionist.

Dump on your filling. Top with other crust.

Cut with a knife around the upper egde of your plate, letting the excess crust fall inward, creating a thick edge.

I just press my thumb into this thick edge all the way around for my crust decoration.

Bake at 350 until crust is golden. I didn't time mine, sorry.

Nutritious enough to eat for lunch by itself!


"Life is uncertain. Eat dessert first."
~Ernestine Ulmer

3 comments:

  1. Ok..Maureen..You mentioned using Oat flour.. My family is on a Gluten free diet as of new (which you know..LOL) I've never baked with Oat flour..Do I just use it by itself and cup for cup as with the Wheat directions?? Just wondering..Thanks
    Tanya

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tanya- yes, cup for cup. You can just whirl old-fashioned oats in the blender. The dough may end up more crumbly than with wheat flour, but with practice you'll get the hang of it.

    ReplyDelete