"Sit down and feed, and welcome to our table." -William Shakespeare

Saturday, October 22, 2011

Eat Better, Feel Better: 10 baby steps


I was going to work up a post on natural toys, with the holidays fast approaching. But then, let's face it. What your little people are putting in their mouths is WAY more important than what they're playing with. Even if they chew on their toys.

Food builds health and destroys it. In children, food can promote good behaviors and sunny dispositions or it can sabotage them. Really, it does so for us big people, too, when we care to admit it.

I realize that many people aren't willing to make wholesale changes in the way they eat. Food is social, psychological, and just weird, in our heads. We know what we ought to do, but we don't do it.

But there are so many little things, tiny things, we can do to shift the scales for our families in the direction of healthy and away from obesity-cancer-and-everything-else.

Healthy habits don't make us invincible, but they do make us better.

Baby Step #1: Sandwiches


"Think big thoughts but relish small pleasures."
~H. Jackson Brown, Jr., Life's Little Instruction Book

3 comments:

  1. Incremental changes are more likely to be permanent changes!

    I've been reading your blog for a little while, but this is my first time commenting. I always enjoy your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love "Healthy habits don't make us invincible, but they do make us better."

    Thank you so much for your posts! You are right, I know what I should/shouldn't eat but so many time eat it anyway! Your blog is a constant but gentle reminder to remind me why to stay healthy and how!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Jenny.

    Thanks, Erika.

    I do love to write about food- have you noticed? Almost as much as I like to eat it.

    ReplyDelete