"Sit down and feed, and welcome to our table." -William Shakespeare

Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Gratitude for Strange Things

Tonight I decided to make a list of the things I'm MOST grateful for today.

Because I'm tired.  Exhausted, in fact.  And really close to feeling sorry for myself.

Super funny, but the #1 thing I am grateful for as I drift off to sleep is that no one, especially John Paul or my pregnant self, got bitten by a black widow before leaving New Mexico.
Yes, I took this picture at risk of life and limb and I like it.  A lot.

Silly?  Maybe, but my good friend did confirm that lots of people in Los Alamos were finding black widows in strange places- i.e. their houses!  (They are usually much more reclusive.)  And killing them yourself is, uh, nerve-racking to say the least.  I was terrified JP would get bitten and not be able to explain it to me well enough.  Plus, the anti-venom is usually contra-indicated in pregnancy and the bite itself can cause pre-term labor because of yadda yadda, blah-blah-blah.  Er, that was what the scientific information sounded like to me...

Anyway, I didn't realize how worried I'd been over it till we were gone.

#2:  Baby is still flipping around but is 90% of the time more or less head down.  Drawback to being 6' tall is that baby never runs out of room and likes to worry and tease you by doing somersaults every day.

#3:  34.5 weeks pregnant and 6' tall!  He-he.  I'm only barely starting to feel uncomfortable.  Baby isn't even up under my ribs yet.  I can still breathe just fine.

#4:  Coconut-with-agave ice cream from the store.  Made my kids really happy today and I didn't have to clean the ice cream maker.

#5:  Leaving southern Arizona in 3 days.  I mean, I love a 111 degree day as much as anybody, don't get me wrong.  But 2 weeks of such delightful warmth... is enough for this pregnant lady.  So long, Sonoran desert!  (Hello, midwestern humidity....)


"Drag your thoughts away from your worries... by the ears, by the heels, or any other way you can manage it."
-Mark Twain



1 comment: