"Sit down and feed, and welcome to our table." -William Shakespeare

Friday, February 10, 2012

Magical Rice Tea

I originally got this "recipe" from a midwife, during my 2nd pregnancy. I came down with a stomach virus 7 months pregnant and became so dehydrated that contractions began. My midwife told me to drink this tea and if it didn't stop the contractions and rehydrate me in 1 hour, to head to the hospital for an IV.

Thankfully, it worked. And it has worked every time I've tried it since.

(My mother-in-law has confirmed that this same 'tea' is used in Mexico for vomiting, diarhhea, and stomach upset.)

This last week we all had a stomach virus, a 24-hour but very violent one. My husband insisted on 7-Up and Gatorade, but the children would take a sip of 7-Up and their poor little stomachs would just convulse in a big "NO THANK YOU." It was gross.

So, thankfully, I remembered the rice tea, and if I may say, this stuff is as close to magic as I've ever seen. I myself was considering going to the hospital for an IV, but this tea again saved me. Every sip settled my digestive tract a bit further on. It also completely and immediately banished the abdominal bloating that accompanied the bug. My daughter who coudn't keep anything down for 12 hours took 1 sip and proceeded to drink a whole quart.

Rice is one of the few foods recommended for stomach bug recovery- bananas, rice, applesauce, toast- the BRAT diet, if you've ever heard of it.

Rice Tea for Digestive Tract Distress of Any Type
1/2 cup brown rice, well-rinsed
8-10 cups water

Combine in pan and bring to a boil, turn down heat and boil gently for 30-50 minutes, until liquid is semi-opaque. (I am at high altitude and it only takes 15-20 minutes.)

Strain. The rice can be used like porridge. My kids like it with strawberries and nut milk.

To drink, add stevia and vanilla to taste. I also add 4 drops ginger tincture per cup to help with nausea, or you can add a piece of ginger to the pot while cooking, but then your rice porridge will taste like ginger, too. Add a shake of natural sea salt if the drinker has been vomiting, to help with electrolyte balance.

That's it. Seriously. Another embarrassingly simple, but very helpful, recipe from BreadwithHoney.


"The power of love to change bodies is legendary, built into folklore, common sense, and everyday experience. Love moves the flesh, it pushes matter around.... Throughout history, "tender loving care" has uniformly been recognized as a valuable element in healing."
~Larry Dossey

P.S. I have my computer back, but my camera is lost! Pictures returning soon- I hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment