"Sit down and feed, and welcome to our table." -William Shakespeare

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Some Days, This Job's the Pits

Here's what it looks like when we've had a great day of academic and artistic pursuit:

Let's not even talk about what a bad day might look like! My children have constant access to all our learning materials and yes, it can get messy. But life is messy. Might as well have fun and learn something, eh?

But this post is actually about deodorant. What? Ya, I've got a recipe for that, too. (My children are always flattering me: Mom, I need a yo-yo... do you have a sewing pattern for that? Mommy, will you cook cook us some blue paper like the blue playdough you cook? I dread the day they discover that their mom is not, in fact, Superwoman.)

The aluminum in anti-perspirant is a big no-no for your health. It is a known carcinogen. It seals up your body exocrine glands which were designed- get this- to sweat. Your body isn't mistaken. You need to sweat.

You just might not want to stink while you do it.

Deodorants might be a lesser evil, but they are still an amalgam of synthetic chemicals... even most of the health food store ones. My husband discovered, lucky dog, that simply rubbing baking soda under there after a shower works well for him. Me? Not so lucky.

So here's my recipe. The baking soda is a no-brainer. The coconut oil is antibacterial and prevents the proliferation of those pesky bacteria that stink you up. The essential oils make you smell good!

Reaaaally scientific:
Dump some baking soda in your container. Add enough coconut oil to moisten. Add your essential oils of choice. I used lavender and vanilla and it smells a little too edible. Lavender and tea tree is great, though.

Put the lid on. Enjoy!

And just in case you needed 1 more picture of my back yard:


"Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not; a sense of humor to console him for what he is."
~Francis Bacon

"Humor is the great thing, the saving thing. The minute it crops up, all our irritation and resentments slip away, and a sunny spirit takes their place."
~Mark Twain

4 comments:

  1. Oh! i am so excited! I have been wanting to make a homemade deodorant, but all the ones I ever found had weird ingredients in them that I was not sure where to find and was too scared to see how much they cost! All of these things I have in my cabinet right now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well let me know how it works for me. I am an unusually smelly person, and this sure does the trick for me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I meant to say let me know how it works for YOU- LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Trying really hard not to be jealous of your back yard! Wow!

    ReplyDelete